(CLICK PHOTOS TO ENLARGE)
DECEMBER 30, 2020 » SHOW RESULTS
It was a tricky year for horse showing with the COVID Pandemic! Hats off to all the show producers here in Canada and across North America for pulling together and making the shows happen once the government officials gave the green light.
NRCHA Canadian Regional Standings:
- Cats Picasso (Owners Coast Performance Horses) and John – 3rd Open Bridle
- Chics Made Me Do It (Owners Bev & Laura MacMillan) and John – 4th Open Bridle
- SLR Won Smart Wolf (Owner Keri Hudson-Reykdal) and John – 6th Open Bridle
- Northern Metallic (Owner Marti Katerberg) and John – 3rd Open Hackamore
- Chics Made Me Do It (Owners Bev & Laura MacMillan) and Melody Andrews – 4th Limited Open Bridle
- Smart Lookin Nurse and Bart Holowath – Non Pro Bridle CHAMPIONS
- Red Hot Jade and Terri Holowath – 3rd Non Pro Bridle
- SLR Won Smart Wolf and Keri Hudson-Reykdal – 8th Non Pro Bridle
- Metallic Cat Rose and Jerry Myer – 8th Intermediate Non Pro Bridle
- Hes Reyl Hott and Mark Parsons – 3rd Non Pro Hackamore
- A More Rey and Dr. Suzon Schaal – Non Pro Two Rein CHAMPIONS
- Metallic Duals and Nicole Myer – 2nd Non Pro Two Rein
- CD Shiner and Tyree Swales – 2nd Youth Cow Horse
- Jacs Classy Boy and Kate Wedderburn – Youth Limited CHAMPIONS
- Listos Smokin Gun and Lara Myer – 3rd Youth Limited
- Feather In Your Cap and Levi Swales – 4th Youth Limited
- Solanos Whiz Kid and Ty Walker – 6th Youth Limited
- Filo Olena and Taylor Myer – 9th Youth Limited
- Jacs Classy Boy and Kate Wedderburn – 7th Non Pro Limited
- Jacs Classy Boy and Kate Wedderburn – 3rd 5K Non Pro Limited
- KonkwhiztAdorable and Mano Angers – 16th 1K Non Pro Limited
Alberta Reined Cow Horse Association Year End Standings Highlights (1st & 2nd only):
- Kit Kat And All That and Ralynn Michels – 2nd (tie) Limited Open Snaffle Bit / Hackamore
- Red Hot Jade and Terri Holowath – 2nd Novice Non Pro Ranch Cutting
- Smart Lookin Nurse and Bart Holowath – 1st Non Pro Bridle
- Red Hot Jade and Terri Holowath – 2nd Non Pro Bridle
- Hes Reyl Hott and Mark Parsons – 2nd Non Pro Snaffle Bit / Hackamore
- Jacs Classy Boy and Kate Wedderburn – 1st Non Pro Rein Box
- Smart Lookin Nurse and Bart Holowath – 1st Non Pro Ranch Cutting
- SLR Won Smart Wolf and Keri Hudson-Reykdal – 2nd Non Pro Ranch Cutting
- A More Rey and Dr. Suzon Schaal – 1st Non Pro Two Rein
- Metallic Duals and Nicole Myer – 2nd Non Pro Two Rein
- Metallic Duals and John Swales – 2nd Open Ranch Cutting
- Metallic Duals and John Swales – 1st Open Two Rein
- CD Shiner and Tyree Swales – 2nd Youth Bridle
- Listos Smokin Gun and Lara Myer – 2nd Youth Rein Box 13 and Under
- Jacs Classy Boy and Kate Wedderburn – 2nd Youth Rein Box 18 and Under
OCTOBER 24, 2020 » SHOW RESULTS|
NRCHA Snaffle Bit Futurity & Hackamore Classic, Oct 10-24
We were eager to get to Fort Worth, Texas with entries this year; there are always high hopes for this premier event! And John knew the horses aboard had what it takes to do very well against the tough competition. As things turned out, the finals were not in the cards this year, but we want to congratulate all the successful teams for their wins and look forward to the next opportunity!
Northern Metallic, owned by Marti Katerberg, was entered in the Hackamore Classic and started out strong in the herd work with a 216. Unfortunately, he came up sore the morning of the reined work and the decision was made to scratch him to ensure he could make a full recovery. Tough, but right decision, as he was cleared a few days later to return to training.
Hendrixx, owned by Monica Wille, was shown in the Open SBF. This stallion had shown his talents in Alberta competition, but the stars did not align for the finals. We have high hopes for him and know he will have his share of finals to show-off to the world down the road! This One Time Royalty stallion was consistent and pretty in the show pen, only missing the Open Finals by 1.5 points! He was a 216 in the herd work, a 218.5 in the reining and a 215 down the fence. It took a 651 to make the Open Finals and Hendrixx was a 649.5… John is extremely excited to show him in the Derby’s in the new year.
Cats Picasso was the final horse that made to long trip to Texas, he was primed and ready for the Open Bridle competition, but a tough tough cow got in the way… grrr! Cats Picasso never let John down; he was a 145.5 in the reining and a very respectable 144 down the fence on that nasty cow with more than a hand-full of penalties! A run that could have easily turned into a 120, Cats Picasso stuck with that bovine and his “plus points” far outweighed the penalty points!
Both John and the horses were happy to be home and get some well-deserved time off! Hunting was on John’s mind (along with all our boys), and rest and turn-out were the focus for these equine athletes for a few weeks.
OCTOBER 4, 2020 » SHOW RESULTS|
2020 Cowtown Derby, Futurity & Stockhorse Show, Sept 30 – Oct 4
Check out these awesome results from the last aged event we attended here in Alberta before heading to Fort Worth, Texas for the NRCHA Snaffle Bit Futurity:
Thank you to the show committee and staff as well as everyone at Silver Slate Arena, and all the show sponsors for a terrific and fun show!
- Wahoo! Congrats to Monica Wille and her stallion Hendrixx... Hendrixx & John Swales just won the Cowtown Open Futurity!!
- Huge congrats to Marti Katerberg and her stallion Northern Metallic...Harley & John Swales captured the Cowtown Open Derby Championship!
- Congrats to Keri Hudson Reykdal & Calvin Reykdal on SLR Won Smart Wolf’s Reserve Championship win in the Open Bridle Spectacular!
- Our eldest son, Tyree Swales & CD Shiner won the Youth Fence Spectacular!!
- Congrats to our youngest son Levi, who won his first buckle today! Levi and Feather In Your Cap (aka Trona) were the Youth Limited 13 & Under Champions!!!
- Chics Made Me Do It and John Swales tied to win the Open Bridle at Cowtown Futurity, Derby & Stockhorse Show! (They lost the coin toss but were honoured to share the win with Clint Swales & Let’s Go Higher.) Congrats to owners Bev MacMillan & Laura MacMillan!
- Bart Holowath & Smart Lookin Nurse took Reserve Championship in the Non Pro Bridle next to the Champion, Terri Holowath & Red Hot Jade! These two switched-it-up in the Non Pro Bridle Spectacular, reversing their Reserve and Championship spots! Huge congrats to this team and their talented horses!
- Tyree Swales & CD Shiner, owned by Colleen Penner won a buckle for Youth Fence champions!
- Kate Wedderburn & Jacs Classy Boy were Champions in the 5k Non Pro Limited and Reserve Champions in the Youth Limited! And Ty Walker & Solanos Whiz Kid were in the money in 4th place in the Youth Limited!
- Levi Swales & Feather In Your Cap won the Youth Limited 13 & Under!
- Mano Angers & Konkwhiztadorable took home earnings in the 1k Non Pro Limited!
- Suzon Schaal & A More Rey were the Non Pro Two Rein Spectacular Champions!
- Carlene Meeks & Play Sally Play captured the Non Pro & Novice Non Pro Futurity Championships!
- Shae-Lynn Quiring & Reydas Sugar Kat (owned by Sarah Wolfs) were the Level One Limited Open Derby Champions! And Melody Marie Andrews & Myslidersgotdiamonds, owned by Chelsea Milburn, brought home 5th place earnings!
- Steve Hoar & Maximum San Master earned 3rd place money in the Non Pro Derby and Reserve Champion money in the Novice Non Pro Derby! Bart Holowath & Styln Metallic Booty finished 4th in the Non Pro Derby!
Thanks to the entire team for getting us down the road & keeping the horses healthy & Happy!
SEPTEMBER 6, 2020 » SHOW RESULTS|
2020 Alberta Snaffle Bit Futurity, Dave Robson Derby & Catalyst Cow Horse Show (September 3-9)
Futurity season is well under way, which means fall is in the air and we are soaking up the last warm days of summer! This weekend we were in Claresholm, Alberta with many others from across Canada to show off the talents of the horses, both young and seasoned!
The Futurity horses were smooth and consistent, marking big scores! We were blessed to be in the money on both of them.
Hendrixx, owned by Monica Wille, started strong with a 147 in the reining a 143.5 in the herd work and finished with a 143.5 down the fence. This landed them 4th place and $2865.32 towards his LTE. This stallion by One Time Royalty, has an exciting future ahead of him!
SLR Smart As A Cat, owned by Stump Lake Ranch, was leading the futurity before the fence work, and a slow loping cow diminished the win possibilities! This stallion by Metallic Cat also has a bright future! He marked a 146.5 in the reining, a 145 in the herd and a 145 down the fence! LTE added to his resume this weekend were $3619.35 for a respectable 3rd place finish in the aggregate.
Derby: Northern Metallic, owned by Marti Katerberg, did it again! John and “Harley” were very consistent marking a 147.5 in the reining, a 145 in the herd work, and a 146 down the fence! This stallion by Metallic Cat earned another $5389.85 to his LTE! Marti was excited to take another buckle home to her Dad, John, who has an integral part in their breeding program; congrats guys!
Many Non Pro’s and both of our assistant trainers were also showing in the Derby; many applauds to each of them for their successes!
- Maximum San Master & Steve Hoar – rein 143 (1st place), herd 144 (2nd place), fence 145 (1st place) – for a multiple championship win! Steve took home titles for the Non Pro Derby and the Novice Non Pro Derby; $3139.20 in prize money! Congrats Steve!
- Little Boon Peep & Deb Anderson – 2nd Non Pro & Novice Non Pro Derby (Tied with Jim Dobler & Twist My Arm), 1st Amateur Derby
- Styln Metallic Booty & Bart Holowath – 4th Non Pro & Novice Non Pro Derby
- Crackin A Smart One & Terri Holowath – 3rd Amateur Derby
- Kit Kat And All That & Ralynn Michels (owner Jennifer Shireff) – 6th Level One Limited Open Derby
- Myslidersgotdiamonds & Melody Andrews (owner Chelsea Milburn) – 8T Level One Limited Open Derby
Horse Show: This year the horse show was sponsored by Catalyst… many thanks to all the wonderful sponsors!
Its always exciting to watch the bridle horses; they are such a treat! And they did not disappoint. John had the privilege of showing Chics Made Me Do It, owned by Laura & Bev MacMillan, in the Open Bridle. “Mick” was super good in the reining and made his fence work look so easy with his speed and agility.
Cats Picasso and John competed in both the Open Bridle and the Open Bridle Spectacular. The pair took home reserve champion in the Open Bridle and Champion in the Open Bridle Spectacular!! The herd work started off hot with a 148! “Tonto” dazzled the crowd again to finish off the competition with a tremendous 153 down the fence!!! His fence turns are out-of-this-world! Such a talented unique stallion… incredible! Huge congrats to owners Coast Performance Horses!
Again, our Non Pro’s and our youth came to show their best! Congrats to each of you! Here are the highlights:
- Smart Lookin Nurse & Bart Holowath – Non Pro Bridle champion, Non Pro Bridle Spectacular 3rd place
- Red Hot Jade & Terri Holowath – Non Pro Bridle reserve champion, Non Pro Bridle Spectacular reserve champion
- SLR Won Smart Wolf & Keri Hudson-Reykdal – Non Pro Bridle, 3rd place and Non Pro Bridle Spectacular champion
- A More Rey & Suzon Schaal – Non Pro Two Rein Champion, and Non Pro Two Rein Spectacular champion
- CD Shiner & Tyree Swales – Youth Fence champion and Youth Fence Spectacular champion
- Feather In Your Cap & Levi Swales – Youth Limited 3T place, and Youth Limited 13 & Under reserve champion
- Jacs Classy Boy & Kate Wedderburn – Youth Limited reserve champion, Non Pro Limited 3rd place and 5k Non Pro Limited champion
- Solanos Whiz Kid & Ty Walker – Youth Limited 3T place
JULY 29, 2020 » SHOW RESULTS|
2020 COW UP ON THE COAST (Prairie Edition)
Pre-Futurity time! Extra exciting this year with many canceled shows early in the spring and summer due to the global pandemic. Luckily, Cow-Up was able to go-on even though it had to be hosted in Alberta instead of BC! Silver Slate Arena worked hard to abide by COVID policies and helped to run a great show! It was awesome to get out and see everyone again and cheer on great people and talented horses.
Congrats to all the winners, riders, and owners!
Northern Metallic – OPEN DERBY RESERVE CHAMPIONS, owner Marti Katerberg. John & “Harley” were very consistent marking a 148 in the herd, a 147.5 in the reining and a 147 down the fence! This duo also won the Open Hackamore on Day 2 marking a 148 down the fence! This show added $4607 to his LTE!
Stylin Metallic Booty – OPEN NOVICE HORSE DERBY CHAMPIONS, owner Bart & Terri Holowath. “Bee” performed well and marked big! Herd 146, Reining 146 & Fence 149!! Congrats!
SLR Smart As A Cat – OPEN FUTURITY RESERVE CHAMPIONS, owned by Stump Lake Ranch. “Tomcat” is a sweet stallion with mega stop! We have anxiously waited to watch Tomcat’s debut in the show pen since he came into training as a 2 year old. This stallion has what it takes! Herd 143.5, Reining 147 & Fence 144.
Hendrixx – OPEN FUTURITY 3RD PLACE, owned by Monica Wille. Hendrixx is another stallion who we were so excited to see in his first futurity! This guy is handsome and oozes talent! We know this stallion will go far! We are super excited to cheer him on at the NRCHA SBF in Ft. Worth soon! Herd 147, Reining 144 & Fence 142.
Cats Picasso – OPEN BRIDLE SPECTACULAR CHAMPION, owned by Coast Performance Horses. The quiet in the crowd as “Tonto” walks into the show pen shows the crowds desire to watch this cool stallion perform! Tonto has extreme presence and such cool moves with a cow; a favourite of many. Herd 148, Reining 146.5 & Fence 150!!
Never Giving In – OPEN DERBY FENCE SCORE OF 150! Owned by Monica Wille. “Frank” is a barn favourite and a super talented dude, although the reining didn’t go as planned, he was strong in both the herd work, with a 146, and had one of the high fence scores, a spectacular 150!
Chics Made Me Do It & Melody Andrews - LIMITED OPEN BRIDLE CHAMPIONS, owner Bev & Laura MacMillan. Another gritty horse with unlimited talents! Their top reining score of the weekend was a 143.5, and top fence work score was a 141!
Congrats also to our children who showed and many non-pro’s! Immensely proud of each of your accomplishments and dedication whether you were in the money or not!
Tyree Swales & CD Shiner – YOUTH BRIDLE CHAMPIONS, owner Colleen Penner. The pairs best reining of the weekend was a 145, and their best fence score a 146.5!
Levi (Blue) Swales & Feather In Your Cap (Trona) – YOUTH LIMITED 13 & UNDER RESERVE CHAMPIONS. This teams top reining score of the weekend was a 140.5 and the boxing was a 144! Pretty sweet scores for an 8 year old!
Taylor Myer & Filo Olena showed in the YOUTH LIMITED 13 & UNDER and secured a 138 in the reining and a 139 in the boxing!
Lara Myer & Listos Smokin Gun also showed in the YOUTH LIMITED 13 & UNDER and rode to a 137.5 in the reining and a 139 in the boxing!
Nicole Myer & Metallic Duals (Kit) – NON PRO TWO REIN SPECTACULAR CHAMPIONS. This duo was on fire scoring a 144 in the herd work, a 145 in the reining and a 144.5 in the fence to claim the championship, congratulations!
Suzon Schaal & A More Rey – NON PRO TWO REIN AGGREGATE CHAMPIONS. Their high rein was a 145 and high fence of the weekend was a 146!
Deb Anderson & Little Boon Peep – NON PRO AND AMATEUR DERBY CHAMPIONS. They were very consistent the entire weekend, great job! These are the scores that put them on top: herd work 145, reining 143.5 & fence work 140.5!
Bart Holowath & Smart Lookin Nurse – NON PRO BRIDLE SPECTACULAR RESERVE CHAMPIONS. Bart & “Finn” had a 149 in the reining and a 144 down the fence on day 1, followed by a 146.5 in the reining and a 143 down the fence on day 2!
Terri Holowath & Red Hot Jade, as well as Keri Hudson-Reykdal & SLR Won Smart Wolf were also showing great promise. As we all know horse showing doesn’t always land us at the top of our class every show! Fun to cheer each and everyone on at the first Aged Event in Alberta this year!
FEBRUARY 22, 2020 » SHOW RESULTS|
WGH 2020 / NRCHA Celebration of Champions, February 2020
Tyree made his debut at an NRCHA Premiere event on his leased horse, CD Shiner. Tyree and “Flex” qualified to show in the Youth Bridle class and came in after proudly accepting his Canadian Regional Championship buckle for the 2019 show year!
Tyree, age 13, had a few nerves to work out riding in the big pens in Fort Worth, Texas the week leading up to competition day. Each day we could see him relax a bit more and settle into the excitement.
As parents, we reminded our son of the amazing opportunity to show at this prestigious competition and on such a nice horse we were lucky to lease from owner, Colleen Penner. Tyree is competitive at heart and was striving to do well and enjoy the experience. Preliminary day came, and Tyree showed Flex very well! So well, their run got them to the FINALS! Wow, what a first trip to Cowtown!!
Final’s day brought more nerves, which Tyree handled like a champ! The pair earned their first cheque! Who would have thought that our young cowboy could make the finals at his first big event! We were very proud parents that day and continue to be proud of all the time and effort Tyree puts into anything he takes on. Congrats Tyree on a sweet first show in Fort Worth!
This year’s Celebration of Champions was a pretty special one for our entire family. John had the privilege of showing SLRBlindedByTheLight, owned by Stump Lake Ranch, in the Open Derby. This energetic and talented mare did not disappoint; John was able to guide her to a Reserve Championship in the Novice Horse Open Derby! Congrats to all involved in Stump Lake Ranch’s breeding program and ownership! Scores were: Herd 218, Reining 216.5 and Fence work 221!
This year for the World’s Greatest Horseman competition, John had the pleasure of showing Metallic Cat Rose. This duo worked hard preparing and their time and efforts shone through! Amazed and grateful, it was time to plan another barn party to celebrate another life-time accomplishment… WORLD’S GREATEST HORSEMAN, again! This time it was Metallic Cat Rose whose grit, and stamina came through; this mare has so much heart and gave John every spec of it in the show pen. Thrilled is an understatement; and we shared that tremendous feeling with owner’s Nicole and Jerry Myer of Spring Haven Ranches, and their children Lucas, Lara and Taylor. “Rose” is not the only one with grit and stamina, her partner, John displayed the commitment, courage and focus through-out the months prior preparing her. Through-out the preliminaries John encouraged her best, and in the finals proving to the crowd of spectators Rose’s highest level of athleticism and intensity on tough cattle right through all four events to the heart-stopping fence work! Huge congratulations to everyone involved in our team and to the Myer Family!
It was a surreal feeling that night in the John Justin arena; I do not think I have jumped up and down so many times during a single fence work! Rose and John, you two amaze us!
Preliminary scores: Herd 216, Rein 217, Steer Stopping 223 & Fence 223!
Finals scores: Herd 217.5, Rein 218.5, Steer Stopping 215 & Fence 227.5!
Click these links to check out the action!
WGH Herd Work, Prelims;
WGH Rein Work, Prelims;
WGH Steer Stopping, Prelims;
WGH Fence Work, Prelims;
WGH Herd Work, Finals;
WGH Rein Work, Finals;
WGH Steer Stopping, Finals;
WGH Fence Work, Finals.
JULY 12, 2019 » SHOW RESULTS|
2019 Calgary Stampede July 11 &12
The Calgary Stampede changed the format this year and everyone was a bit nervous initially! The original invitation-style entry was supposed to be a fence work only show; this idea left competitors confused as this is only part of our sport, a sport rich in tradition! Luckily, the many letters and voices of concern spoke clearly of the importance of having a non-invitational NRCHA approved show which had to include the reined work. July 11 was the NRCHA approved show, crowning champions in the Non-Pro Bridle, Open Hackamore and Open Bridle. Then, July 12 took the top 10 fence scores back to a second aggregate go to crown Fence Spectacular Champions in each of the same classes.
The cattle were challenging as usual and the busy environment of the Calgary Stampede was all taken-in by the amazing equine athletes we all have the pleasure of working with!
NRCHA Open Bridle:
- Champion – Veronica Swales and her gelding Annies Playin Cat!
- 3rd place – John Swales and Cats Picasso, owned by Coast Performance Horses
- NRCHA Open Hackamore 3rd place – John Swales and Metal Hickory 014, owned by Jerry & Nicole Myer (Spring Haven Ranches)
- 5th place – John Swales and Northern Metallic, owned by Marti Katerberg
Calgary Stampede Open Bridle Fence Spectacular:
- Champion – John Swales and Cats Picasso, owned by Coast Performance Horses, 150.5 fence work score July 12! WATCH THE VIDEO HERE.
- Calgary Stampede Open Hackamore Fence Spectacular:
- Co-Champion – John Swales and Northern Metallic, owned by Marti Katerberg, 150.5 fence score July 12!! Championship shared with Dale Clearwater and Deluxe Strlit Night! WATCH THE VIDEO HERE.
JUNE 23, 2019 » SHOW RESULTS|
2019 Cats Picasso NRCHA Derby, Paso Robles, California
Sponsored by Cats Picasso, this show was extra special for our crew! Our boys enjoyed handing out Cats Picasso hats and wearing Tonto's swag proudly!
Deb Anderson and fiancé, Dale Jarvis from Coast Performance Horses, were there all week cheering on Cats Picasso in the Open Two Rein Spectacular and handing out the Cats Picasso NRCHA Derby buckles on finals day! So many great memories!
Metal Hickory 014 – Open Derby Finalist, placing 10th, owned by Spring Haven Ranches. Steel, as we know him around the barn, was super consistent in the prelims marking a 218 in the herd, a 219 reining and a 215 down the fence. The finals brought a good pay cheque with solid runs (herd 215.5, reining 219 & fence 218.5). We were so proud of Steel! Congrats to Jerry & Nicole Myer!
Northern Metallic – Open Derby Finalist, placing 6th, owned by Marti Katerberg. High fence score in the preliminaries 223! Marti was able to fly down and cheer on “Harley”, which made it so much more exciting! Harley's scores in the finals were super for a four-year-old; 216.5 herd, 218 reining & 220.5 fence! We all enjoyed celebrating the successes at the stalls after the finals! Thanks to Marti for the drinks and pizza!
Nicole & Jerry Myer were able to cheer on their Stallion, Steel, as well as show their own horses. Jerry showed Metallic Cat Rose in the Non Pro Bridle Spectacular and Nicole showed Metallic Duals in the Non Pro Derby. Both of the Myer's shone in the reining; Nicole having the high reining score in both the Novice Non Pro Derby as well as the Amateur Derby!
MAY 26, 2019 » SHOW RESULTS|
2019 Cowtown Derby
The Open Derby Championship was scooped-up by Metal Hickory 014, a flashy Metallic Cat stallion owed by Spring Haven Ranches! Metal Hickory 014 tied with Northern Metallic for the high fence work both scoring a 150! Northern Metallic, owned by Marti Katerberg finished 3rd in the Open Derby, this stallion shared the high fence score and took the high reining score, a 148.5! The third derby horse John showed was Bet Across The Board, owned by Nick & Karren Costantino (aka Spot). Spot had the second high score in the Novice Horse Derby in both the reining and the herd work!
The Non Pro Derby was super exciting for Nicole Myer and her gelding, Metallic Duals! The pair won the Non Pro Derby, the Novice Non Pro Derby, the Intermediate Non Pro Derby and the Amateur Derby!! Their 149 fence work was so smooth and awesome – congrats Nicole!
Congrats also to Dr. Suzon Schaal riding A More Rey on their Non Pro Derby Reserve Championship.
Steve Hoar and Maximum San Master finished 6th in the Non Pro Derby and 5th in the Novice Non Pro Derby.
Laurel Scharien and Shesa Sweet Cat finished 3rd in the Amateur Derby.
Cats Picasso and John were both the Open Two Rein AND Open Two Rein Spectacular Champions! Proud owners, Coast Performance Horses, along with our entire family were thrilled with his 151 fence work!! Chics Made Me Do It, owned by Laura MacMillan, also saw success in the Open Two Rein marking a 150 down the fence and finishing Reserve Champion on Day 2.
Metallic Cat Rose and Jerry Myer captured Non Pro Bridle AND Novice Non Pro Bridle Championships on Day 2.
Smart Lookin Nurse and Bart Holowath took the Non Pro Two Rein AND Non Pro Two Rein Spectacular Championships!
Terri Holowath and SDP Blu Rey finished as Reserve Champions in the Non Pro Bridle Spectacular.
Deb Anderson and Signed Prescripton were Reserve Champions in the Intermediate Non Pro Bridle class.
Tyree Swales and CD Shiner finished Champions in the Youth Bridle 13 & Under AND Youth Bridle class, and Reserve Champions in the Youth Bridle Spectacular! His 149 and 150 fence score were thrilling to watch and the control and position on a cow made us proud! Grateful for such a nice horse for our son!
MARCH 30, 2019 » SHOW RESULTS|
2019 NRCHA Stallion Stakes
Las Vegas, Nevada… we were ready for your warm sun after the long cold winter at home this year!
Metal Hickory 014, owned by Spring Haven Ranches enjoyed the warmth also; he made the Open Derby finals with a sweet fence work (herd 216, reining 217.5, fence 219.5), then he finished up in 9th place! Their finals scores were 216 herd, 217 reining and 222 down the fence! This success earned Metal Hickory 014 $4888.17! Congrats to the Myer family!
Bart Holowath & Styln Metallic Booty showed in the Non Pro Derby. Bart also showed Smart Lookin Nurse in the Non Pro Two Rein classes where he finished 11th in the Spectacular with a 146 reined work!
A shout-out to Veronica Swales who showed Annies Playin Cat in the Open Bridle Spectacular and finished in 8th place gathering a $2196 pay cheque!
Cats Picasso was in the Open Two Rein classes with John; the duo shone in the reining with a 221! Their herd draw of last-in did not allow for a smashing herd score as hoped, instead a 210… still finishing in top half of class. We know the stars will align better for this crazy talented stallion in the future!
We are anxiously awaiting our Cats Picasso baby out of our mare, Fire On Me once we return home!
FEBRUARY 23, 2019 » SHOW RESULTS|
2019 Celebration of Champions
Always lots of preparing for the Celebration of Champions and World's Greatest Horseman; every day or two John hauls out to go rope or work cattle in different arenas. This year we were so spoiled as we extended our indoor arena by 100 ft! In the Canadian winter months we lose our big outdoor pen 99.9% of the time; so we were thrilled to have the opportunity to have Integrity Post Frame Ltd. come build our addition. This means our indoor space is now 90x220, so we can rope inside, go down the fence, run BIG circles and LONG run-downs, and still cut the pen in half to work out of the herd!! So exciting!!
We still haul off site to get show horses schooled occasionally as that is necessary for these smart animals.
This year the trip to Fort Worth in February was icy and cold; so grateful for dependable vehicles and good tires.
This horse show like all others had its many ups and downs. John was pumped to show SLR Won Smart wolf in World's Greatest Horseman competition for owners Keri Hudson-Reykdal & Calvin Reykdal. Right off the bat, the herd work did not go as planned; this would prevent them from making the finals. Wolf Pup's reining, steer stopping and fence work were consistent, but as we all know this competition requires consistency in all four events. We know this pair have the talent and grit to make the finals; but it just wasn't in the cards this go-round. The fun part about the WGH competition this year was having all 3 Swales siblings competing! John, Clint and Veronica all had entries; and their father, Peter Swales, was even able to come cheer them on!
John also showed the great gelding Smart Lookin Nurse, for Bart Holowath, in the Open Hackamore class. The duo placed 11th in the preliminaries just missing the finals… tough luck!
Terri Holowath and her steed, SDP Blu Rey, were Non Pro Bridle Finalists – congrats Terri!
Bart Holowath, as well, made finals on Smart Lookin Nurse in the Non Pro Hackamore class. The two were 3rd in the prelims and finished a very respectable 5th place. Congrats!
NOVEMBER 4, 2018 » SHOW RESULTS|
2018 IRCHA Futurity, Derby, & Horse Show
The last stretch of the futurities! Idaho Futurity and Derby is a barn favourite! Usually the kids and I have been away from home so much for the fall run that we stay home to attend school and keep my Physiotherapy job! Here is how the show went:
- Northern Metallic, owned by Marti Katerberg – 4th, with an exciting fence finals score of 147!
- Rated To The Max, a Maximum Echo gelding we own, was shown in the Level 1 Limited Futurity by Melody Andrews to a 5th place finish out of 21 entries!
- Styln Metallic Booty & Bart Holowath placed 3rd in the Non Pro Futurity!
- Metal Hickory 014 & John finished 13th out of 40 entries (owned by Spring Haven Ranches)
- Smart Lookin Nurse & Bart Holowath finished 7th in the Non Pro Derby
- SDP Blu Rey & Terri Holowath finished Reserve Champions in the Non Pro Two Rein!
- SLR Won Smart Wolf (owned by Keri Hudson-Reykdal) & John finished Reserve Champions in the Open Bridle with a 292.5 aggregate!
- Annies Playin Cat & Veronica Swales finished 4th in the Open Bridle!
OCTOBER 22, 2018 » SHOW RESULTS|
2018 SBF & Hackamore Classic
Once again, we set out on the 3-day adventure hauling horses to Fort Worth, Texas for the NRCHA Snaffle Bit Futurity and Hackamore Classic!
Although the 3-year-olds did not make the finals, they had some high lights and gained valuable experience in the show pen. John and Bet Across The Board (aka “Spot”) were very consistent in the prelims marking a 216 in the herd, a 214 in the reining (with a stumble!), and a 217 down the fence… they finished 31st out of 209 entries, just missing the top 25 finals! Thank you to owners, Karren & Nick Costantino for entrusting us to train and show your very talented and beautiful gelding!
Northern Metallic, a stallion owned by Marti Katerberg, was the other Open Futurity entry. He had a bobble in the herd work marking a 208.5, but he was super strong in the other two events proving his right to be in this prestigious crowd! He marked a 220 in the reining (that's 7th out of 209 horses!) and 216 down the fence! His style and look had people watching! This young stallion is sure to make a splash!
Bart Holowath hauled his 3-year-old to Fort Worth also, Styln Metallic Booty. This Metallic Cat mare did not make the finals, but she is steadily maturing and we know she will do big things down the road!
The Hackamore Classic was a definite high light for us! We could not be more proud of Smart Lookin Nurse (aka “Finn”), owned by Bart Holowath. This gelding was piloted by both John in the Open and Bart in the Non Pro and he came out to win every run!
Finn and Bart had the high herd work score of 216, followed by a steady 214.5 in both the reining and fence work… ending up 4th in the Non Pro Hackamore Classic AND Champions in the Intermediate Non Pro Hackamore Classic!! This fine teamwork also landed the two 5th in the Non Pro Hackamore class. All this success in the Non Pro added $6045.30 to Finn's pot!
Finn continued to lay it out for John in the Open, they also finished up 4th marking a 216.5 in the herd, a 216.5 in the reining and a spectacular 223 down the fence!! This was the second highest fence work score in the open and advanced the team to the Open Hackamore Finals! And another $8703.95 to Finn's pot!
Now Finn had the Open Hackamore Finals to compete in! The finals were tough as the cattle were not allowing for the high scores everyone was hoping for; but John & Finn were very smart on their tough cow marking a 216.5! When combined with their 218 score in the reining, the came out on top! Super proud of John & Finn… Open Hackamore CHAMPIONS!! This very special horse gained another $9560 with this win. When reflecting on the show and how consistent Finn was, you know he is a once-in-a-lifetime horse… this show alone he earned a total of $24,309.26… what a horse!!!!
The Hackamore excitement did not end there (unbelievable!), John's other Hackamore horse, Metal Hickory 014 owned by Spring Haven Ranches, was also on his game! He was gritty and super consistent marking a 216.5 in the herd work, a 217 in the reining and a 216 down the fence! This landed him 9th place in the Open Hackamore Classic and a cheque for $2788.17!! Congrats to Spring Haven Ranches!
Terri Holowath also showed her horse, SDP Blu Rey, the duo came in 5th in the Non Pro Two Rein adding $650 to their winnings! Congrats Terri & Budlight!
SEPTEMBER 15, 2018 » SHOW RESULTS|
2018 Canadian Supreme
The Canadian Supreme has been one of the largest western performance horse competitions in Canada over the years; it is comprised of reining, cutting and reined cow horse. The Canadian Supreme also has a Stallion Stakes component for eligible foals. Little did we know as we all travelled to Red Deer, Alberta this year, that this would be the last Canadian Supreme show. Sadly, it was announced in the spring of 2019 that the show was in financial trouble and that it would not go on. The money to be paid out over the next few years of the stallion stakes will be paid out at other shows in each discipline somewhere in Alberta. For Reined Cow Horse, these payouts will occur at the Alberta Snaffle Bit Futurity in the fall of 2019 (separate entry required).
It was a cold Alberta week in Red Deer… snow and frigid temperatures brought out the winter blankets and long underwear! Despite the weather, the horses performed well!
Non Pro Futurity:
- Northern Metallic & John were crowned the Champions! This stallion is owned by Marti Katerberg and he was on his game! The pair scored 72.5 in the herd, 73.5 in the reining and a 74 down the fence! They earned the high rein and fence marks in the Open Futurity. They also won the Canadian Supreme Open Futurity (Stallion Stakes), claiming the high rein and fence scores and the second highest herd score. The pay-day for Northern Metallic was $8860.87! Congrats to Marti!!
- Bet Across The Board & John, owned by Karren & Nick Costantino finished up 4th in the Open Futurity, and claimed the high herd work score in the open… a 73! This gelding was able to add $1918.75 to his life-time earnings!
- Rated To The Max, sired by Maximum Echo and owned by John & Deanne Swales, was shown by Melody Andrews in the Level 1 Limited Open Futurity. The two finished in 8th place.
- Maximum San Master, another Maximum Echo colt, was piloted by Steve Hoar to finish in a very respectable 3rd place.
- Styln Metallic Booty and Bart Holowath were consistent and placed 4th overall, with the high herd score of 72.
Non Pro Derby:
- Metal Hickory 014, owned by Spring Haven Ranches, and John were crowned Champions in the Open Derby, marking a 75 in the herd, 73.5 in the reining and a 73 on the fence! Congrats!
- Chics Made Me Do It, owned by Laura MacMillan, and John finished in 4th place with scores of 73 in the herd, 72.5 in the reining and 73 on the fence.
- Shesa Sweet Cat, owned by Laurel Scharien, and John ended up 7th with a high fence score of 75! The pair were a 73 in the herd and a 68.5 in the reining.
Horse Show Classes:
- Huge congrats to Nicole Myer and her gelding, Metallic Duals for their Championship title in the Non Pro Derby class!! The pair increased their earnings and layed down some spectacular runs! Herd 71, Reining 73, Fence 71.
- Laurel Scharien & Doc O Nitro – Non Pro BridleChampions with a 71 in the reining and a 72 down the fence!! Congrats!!
- Jerry Myer & Metallic Cat Rose – Non Pro Bridle4th place.
- Another huge congrats goes to Helga Roh and her stallion, Freckles Golden Sun… crowned Novice Non Pro Bridle CHAMPIONS!! The marked a 69 in the reining and a whooping 74 down the fence!!!
- Laurel Scharien & Doc O Nitro – Novice Non Pro Bridle Reserve Champions
- Jerry Myer & Metallic Cat Rose – Novice Non Pro Bridle 4th place
- Tyree Swales & Feather In Your Cap were pretty cool in the big pen capturing $1k Non Pro Limited 3rd place in tough competition! They scored a 70.5 in the reining and a 71 in the boxing! Congrats Tyree & Trona!
SEPTEMBER 10, 2018 » SHOW RESULTS|
2018 ARCHA/NRCHA SBF
This year Claresholm was the first Futurity we competed in; with Fort Worth and the NRCHA Futurity in our sights, we aimed to peak in October. This Futurity is a great show in Alberta and offers lots of classes; futurities, derbies, horse show classes and the Canada's Greatest Horseman competition! This year John did not have a Canada's Greatest Horseman entry, but it was fun cheering all the other competitors on! Here are the results:
Horse Show Classes:
- Terri Holowath & SDP Blu Rey, Non Pro Bridle Spectacular 2nd place
- Keri Hudson-Reykdal & SLR Won Smart Wolf, Non Pro Bridle Spectacular 3rd place
- Terri Holowath & SDP Blu Rey, Non Pro Bridle Champions
- Terri Holowath & SDP Blu Rey, Non Pro Two Rein 2nd place
- Jerry Myer & Metallic Cat Rose, Novice Non Pro Bridle Spectacular 2nd place
- Helga Roh & Freckles Golden Sun, Novice Non Pro Bridle Spectacular 4th place
- Deborah Anderson & Signed Prescription, Intermediate Non Pro Bridle Champions
- Melody Andrews & Skeets Hickory Miss (owned by Annet Ribling) Limited Open Bridle
- Tyree Swales & Doc O Nitro (owned by Laurel Scharien), Youth Limited 3rd place
- Tyree Swales & Doc O Nitro (owned by Laurel Scharien), Youth Limited 13 & Under 2nd place
- John & Smart Lookin Nurse, owned by Bart Holowath, Open Derby Champions
- John & Chics Made Me Do It, owned by Laura MacMillan, Open Derby Reserve Champions
- John & Metal Hickory 014, owned by Spring Haven Ranches, Open Derby 3rd place
- Nicole Myer & Metallic Duals, Amateur Non Pro Derby Reserve Champions
- Tyree Swales & Feather In Your Cap, Non Pro Limited Derby 3rd place
- John & Northern Metallic, owned by Marti Katerberg, Open Futurity 5th place
- Bart Holowath & Styln Metallic Booty, Non Pro Futurity Champions
- Steve Hoar & Maximum San Master, Novice Non Pro Futurity 3rd place
JULY 29, 2018 » SHOW RESULTS|
2018 CowUp On the Coast
This year we didn't feel a pre-futurity would benefit our 3 year olds, so we stayed home and continued preparing them here. A few Non Pro's ventured across the rocky mountains and did very well!
- Bart Holowath & Smart Lookin Nurse – Non Pro Hackamore Champions, AND Non Pro Derby Champions!
- Laura MacMillan & Chics Made Me Do It – Amateur Derby Reserve Champions
- Colleen Penner & CD Shiner – 1k Non Pro Limited Reserve Champions
JUNE 16, 2018 » SHOW RESULTS|
2018 NRCHA Derby
Paso Robles, California… always a favourite destination for our family! We love the California sun (and really love the cooler evenings!!). This trip the Canadian Non Pro's shone brightly!!
Congrats to the Holowath family on a brilliant show! Terri and SDP Blu Rey took home the championship title in the Non Pro Two Rein Spectacular class earning another $1640! Terri guided “Budlight” to a 145 in the herd work, a 140.5 in the reining and a spectacular 149 down the fence!! Sweet job!!
Bart & Smart Lookin Nurse were also on fire; this pair captured the Non Pro Derby Championship AS WELL AS the Intermediate Non Pro Derby Championship!!! In the finals the duo marked an impressive 219 in the herd work, a 215.5 in the reining and a whooping 219 down the fence! These championships added $7602.19 and $3559.36, for the Non Pro and Intermediate Non Pro respectively! Such fun celebrating with them!!
John showed Metal Hickory 014 and Metallic Missle Dr. in the Open Derby for owners Spring Haven Ranches and Jerry & Pam Koopman. Metallic Missle Dr. finished up 11th in the Novice Horse Open Derby, and Metal Hickory 014 took Reserve Champion in the same class! Metal Hickory 014 earned another $2292.88 towards his life-time earnings!
One of the highlights was Metal Hickory 014's 220.5 score in the reined work; this was the high reining score in the Novice Open Derby class!
MAY 26, 2018 » SHOW RESULTS|
2018 NRCHA Derby
Cowtown Derby; always a fun event! Congrats to all money earners and many other successes, big and small!
- Metal Hickory 014 & John – 6th Open Derby, 3rd 5000 Novice Horse Derby, owned by Spring Haven Ranches
- Shesa Sweet Cat & John – 4th 5000 Novice Horse Derby, owned by Laurel Scharien
- Metallic Missile Dr. & John – 6th 5000 Novice Horse Derby, owned by Jerry & Pam Koopman
- Smart Lookin Nurse & Bart Holowath – 3rd Non Pro Derby
- Metallic Duals & Nicole Myer – 4th Non Pro Derby, 3rd Novice Non Pro Derby
- SDP Blu Rey & Terri Holowath – 2nd Non Pro Two Rein
- Doc O Nitro & Laurel Scharien – 1st Novice Non Pro Bridle Spectacular, 2nd Novice Non Pro Bridle
- Metallic Cat Rose & Jerry Myer – 3rd Novice Non Pro Bridle Spectacular, 3rd Novice Non Pro Bridle
- Freckles Golden Sun & Helga Roh – 4th Novice Non Pro Bridle Spectacular, 5th Novice Non Pro Bridle
- CD Shiner & Colleen Penner – 1st 1k Non Pro Limited
FEB 29, 2018 » SHOW RESULTS|
2018 NRCHA Celebration of Champions
Not only is the Celebration of Champions an honour to be qualified for, it's a tremendous achievement to make the finals at this show and compete a second time in Fort Worth, Texas against the top 10 across North America!! This year both Laurel Scharien and Keri Hudson-Reykdal were finalists at 2018 Celebration of Champions!
Laurel Scharien made the finals on Doc O Nitro in the Novice Non Pro Bridle class; they finished up in a very respectable 3rd place position! Congrats Laurel!
Keri Hudson-Reykdal showed SLR Won Smart Wolf in the Non Pro Two Rein Finals and the duo finished in 6th spot! Congrats Keri!
SLR Won Smart Wolf was a busy guy at this show! He and John also showed in the Open Two Rein class. This was super exciting as the pair marked a 220 in the finals reining and a 220.5 down the fence in the finals! These scores pushed the two to the top of the list and gained them both a WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP TITLE! This win also pushed their points up and landed them the National Year End Open Two Rein title as well! Congrats to Keri and husband, Calvin, on their incredibly talented gelding, who we all know as Wolf Pup!
The NRCHA Derby also brought much excitement this year! Bart Holowath and Smart Lookin Nurse were in top form; the two won BOTH the Non Pro Derby and the Intermediate Non Pro Derby! They scored 148 herd, 146 rein and 148 down the fence! This success significantly added to their life-time earnings! Congrats to the team!
John had the honor and pleasure to show Metallic Cat Rose, owned by Jerry & Nicole Myer (Spring Haven Ranches) in World's Greatest Horseman this year! This talented mare was on track for the finals until an unfortunate break-out in the roping! The pair marked a 215.5 in the herd work, a 216 in the reining, a 202 in the steer stopping and a 213.5 down the fence. This placed them 20th out of 50 competitors, and only the top 10 advance to the finals. Dreams had to be swallowed and focus had to reroute for 2019! At the end of the day, we all know Metallic Cat Rose would be competitive in this prestigious group of horses given other circumstances and a new day!
GO BACK TO TOP | MORE NEWS...